I always have a craving for citrus flavors in the summer – I love making and eating lemon flavored cakes/ cupcakes. I am on a salad and fruit eating kick lately so on one of my shopping sprees I bought a bag of these Cuties also known as Clementines. Clementines are hybrid, seedless, sweet oranges that are easy to peel and easy to eat.
I made this Clementine Loaf for tea yesterday and it disappeared within a day! I was thinking about baking something with clementine juice in it so that I could use up my big bag of clementines before they go bad.
If you can’t find clementines, you can use oranges instead – it tastes great either way. The loaf itself is not too sweet but with the glaze on top, it tastes just right.
(makes a 11″ by 4.5″ loaf – you can use any loaf pan that you have)
- All purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Baking powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Unsalted butter, softened to room temperature – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Clementine rind, grated – 1/2 teaspoon
- Egg, at room temperature – 1
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1/2 tablespoon
- Clementine Juice – 1/3 cup
- For the glaze:
- Icing Sugar – 1 cup
- Clementine rind, grated – 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla Essence – 1/4 teaspoon
- Clementine juice – 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 325 F for 15 minutes. Grease the loaf pan with a little butter.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the milk, vanilla essence and clementine juice till well combined.
- In another, larger bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the clementine rind and mix till combined. Add the egg and mix well to combine.
- Alternate the flour mixture with the clementine juice mixture and add to the butter mixture in the large bowl. Fold it together gently until just mixed – no need to beat it well or mix it vigorously.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake it for 40 to 45 mins or until done. Check if it is done by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf and checking if it comes out clean. Depending on your oven it may cook faster or slower. I baked it for 40 minutes and it was done.
- Prepare the glaze while the cake is baking. Whisk together the glaze ingredients until well combined.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Turn the loaf out onto a plate and pour the clementine glaze over it while it is still warm. Let it cool completely before cutting it. The loaf will absorb most of the glaze.